From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Nutty barley and earthy, sweet root vegetables supplement leftover turkey to create a homey soup with an old-fashioned flavor. To shorten cooking time, substitute quick-cooking barley for pearl barley; add carrots and parsnips with the barley and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes total.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups Essential Turkey Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 cups diced skinless cooked turkey, (8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy soup pot (4- to 6-quart capacity) over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add barley and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Skim off any froth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and parsnips. Cover and simmer until the barley and vegetables are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add dill, lemon juice and pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 170 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (52% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)