Turkey & Apple Sausage Patties
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
These homemade sausage patties are lower in fat thanks to ground turkey, and more nutritious with the addition of apples. They freeze beautifully and you can reheat them without defrosting them, making them perfect for impromptu brunches.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and grated
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (See Tip)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons rubbed dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add apples and sauté until the apples are very tender, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Add turkey, breadcrumbs, egg whites, sage, salt, pepper, nutmeg and allspice; mix well. Divide the sausage mixture into 16 portions and form into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the outside is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 and freeze well-wrapped for up to 3 months. Place frozen patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper and bake at 450°F until golden brown and no longer pink in the middle, about 20 minutes.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 150 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 1 g fiber; 555 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March/April 1993