Turkey Albondigas Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Albondigas, Spanish for “meatballs,” star in the traditional broth-based Mexican soup. Our version uses turkey rather than beef or pork for the meatballs, and we've pumped up the volume of fresh vegetables in the mix.
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 poblano peppers, (see Tip), diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice, or cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Place turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Mix gently until combined. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and transfer to the baking sheet. (You should have about 20 meatballs.) Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least 20 minutes or until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add peppers, tomatoes, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully submerge the meatballs in the simmering soup; return to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Garnish with jalapeño and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate the soup and meatballs separately for up to 1 day. To serve, reheat soup in a Dutch oven and proceed with Step 3.
- Tips: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh crumbs.
- Poblano peppers can be fiery or relatively mild; there's no way to tell until you taste them. Find them at most large supermarkets. Or substitute 2 green bell peppers plus one minced jalapeño pepper (or more to taste).
Per serving: 289 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)