Tunisian Vegetable Tagine
Fragrant vegetable stews are common around the Mediterranean. This streamlined version is flavored with a North African spice blend and simplified with the use of precut, frozen bell peppers and onions.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion mix; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt in a spice grinder, dry blender or mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika and cayenne.
- Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Break eggs into separate halves of the pan, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the eggs with paprika.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 259 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 564 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (53% dv), Selenium (27% dv), Folate (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique