Tuna with Oranges & Shiitakes
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Orange and shiitakes are a delicious combination for fresh tuna. Make it a meal: Ginger Fried Rice is a delicious accompaniment.
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound 3/4-inch-thick tuna steak, cut into 4 portions
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Remove skin and white pith from the oranges, using a sharp knife. Cut the segments away from their surrounding membranes. Squeeze any remaining juice from the membranes into a small bowl. Stir in orange juice concentrate, thyme, soy sauce, garlic and pepper.
- Open the papillotes and place a piece of tuna on one half of each opened paper heart. Distribute mushrooms and orange sections over the tuna. Spoon orange juice mixture over top. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet. Bake until the packages have puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the tuna flesh is opaque.) Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 205 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 785 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (114% daily value), Folate (15% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Selenium (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 31/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- March/April 1993