Tuna & White Bean Salad
The time-honored Italian pairing of canned tuna and cannellini beans makes a super-simple, satisfying lunch. Serve over salad greens, on grilled whole-wheat country bread or tucked in a whole-wheat pita pocket.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add beans, tuna, onion, parsley and basil; toss to coat well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 226 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 6 g fiber; 498 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (24% daily value), Iron (16% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique