Tuna & Tomatoes Provencale
This tuna salad is perfect for those hot summer days when tomatoes are abundant and cooking is out of the question.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- Several fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste; transfer to a large bowl. Add oil, vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper. Whisk until well blended. Add tuna, red peppers, olives, chopped basil, chives (or scallions) and capers. Toss gently to combine.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick and arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle tuna mixture evenly over tomatoes. Let stand 20 minutes to let flavors meld. Garnish with whole basil leaves just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient