Tuna & Tomatoes Provencale
This tuna salad is perfect for those hot summer days when tomatoes are abundant and cooking is out of the question.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- Several fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste; transfer to a large bowl. Add oil, vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper. Whisk until well blended. Add tuna, red peppers, olives, chopped basil, chives (or scallions) and capers. Toss gently to combine.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick and arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle tuna mixture evenly over tomatoes. Let stand 20 minutes to let flavors meld. Garnish with whole basil leaves just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient