Tuna & Tomatoes Provencale
This tuna salad is perfect for those hot summer days when tomatoes are abundant and cooking is out of the question.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- Several fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste; transfer to a large bowl. Add oil, vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper. Whisk until well blended. Add tuna, red peppers, olives, chopped basil, chives (or scallions) and capers. Toss gently to combine.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick and arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle tuna mixture evenly over tomatoes. Let stand 20 minutes to let flavors meld. Garnish with whole basil leaves just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation