Tuna & Tomatoes Provencale
This tuna salad is perfect for those hot summer days when tomatoes are abundant and cooking is out of the question.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- Several fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste; transfer to a large bowl. Add oil, vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper. Whisk until well blended. Add tuna, red peppers, olives, chopped basil, chives (or scallions) and capers. Toss gently to combine.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick and arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle tuna mixture evenly over tomatoes. Let stand 20 minutes to let flavors meld. Garnish with whole basil leaves just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 317 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less