Simple, quick and comforting, these golden cakes go well with a spoonful of reduced-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives. Try mixing in a bit of chopped dill, capers or lemon zest for a variation.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add tuna, egg, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add the patties and cook until browned on the first side, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn the patties with a wide spatula and cook until golden on the second side, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (108% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique