Simple, quick and comforting, these golden cakes go well with a spoonful of reduced-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives. Try mixing in a bit of chopped dill, capers or lemon zest for a variation.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add tuna, egg, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add the patties and cook until browned on the first side, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn the patties with a wide spatula and cook until golden on the second side, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (108% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique