Simple, quick and comforting, these golden cakes go well with a spoonful of reduced-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives. Try mixing in a bit of chopped dill, capers or lemon zest for a variation.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add tuna, egg, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add the patties and cook until browned on the first side, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn the patties with a wide spatula and cook until golden on the second side, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (108% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)