Simple, quick and comforting, these golden cakes go well with a spoonful of reduced-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives. Try mixing in a bit of chopped dill, capers or lemon zest for a variation.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add tuna, egg, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add the patties and cook until browned on the first side, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn the patties with a wide spatula and cook until golden on the second side, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (108% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique