Simple, quick and comforting, these golden cakes go well with a spoonful of reduced-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives. Try mixing in a bit of chopped dill, capers or lemon zest for a variation.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add tuna, egg, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add the patties and cook until browned on the first side, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn the patties with a wide spatula and cook until golden on the second side, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (108% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique