Vegetable & Tuna Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This delicious pasta salad recipe is made with zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, arugula and chunk light tuna, which is lower in mercury than white albacore tuna. For the best flavor, combine the pasta salad with the dressing about 1 hour before serving. If you’re looking for an environmentally sustainable canned tuna option, check the label—tuna that was caught by troll or pole-and-line is considered the best choice, according to Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch Program. Or look for the blue Certified Sustainable Seafood label from the Marine Stewardship Council.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces (about 3 cups) whole-wheat fusilli
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup diced zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: Combine oil, broth, vinegar, basil, shallots, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until well combined. (Or whisk in a bowl.)
- To prepare pasta salad: Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add arugula, zucchini, tuna, cheese, tomatoes, pepper and the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate, without dressing, for up to 1 day. Toss with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 285 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 401 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2013