Vegetable & Tuna Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This delicious pasta salad recipe is made with zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, arugula and chunk light tuna, which is lower in mercury than white albacore tuna. For the best flavor, combine the pasta salad with the dressing about 1 hour before serving. If you’re looking for an environmentally sustainable canned tuna option, check the label—tuna that was caught by troll or pole-and-line is considered the best choice, according to Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch Program. Or look for the blue Certified Sustainable Seafood label from the Marine Stewardship Council.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces (about 3 cups) whole-wheat fusilli
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup diced zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: Combine oil, broth, vinegar, basil, shallots, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until well combined. (Or whisk in a bowl.)
- To prepare pasta salad: Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add arugula, zucchini, tuna, cheese, tomatoes, pepper and the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate, without dressing, for up to 1 day. Toss with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 285 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 401 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2013