In this updated tuna melt recipe, we go light on the mayo and top it with fresh tomato slices and shredded sharp Cheddar. This allows us to use considerably less cheese while ensuring that there’s great cheese flavor in each gooey bite of this healthy tuna melt recipe.
- 2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna (see Tip), drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for sustainable seafood, such as U.S.-caught chunk light tuna, preferably certified by the Marine Stewardship Council.
Per serving: 209 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 497 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique