Delicious, easy, inexpensive; serve as a sandwich filling or an hors d'oeuvre with whole-grain crackers or triangles of rye bread.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water (see Note)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Combine tuna, cream cheese, oil, lemon juice and cayenne in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl; stir in capers, parsley and thyme.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per tablespoon: 39 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique