Delicious, easy, inexpensive; serve as a sandwich filling or an hors d'oeuvre with whole-grain crackers or triangles of rye bread.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water (see Note)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Combine tuna, cream cheese, oil, lemon juice and cayenne in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl; stir in capers, parsley and thyme.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per tablespoon: 39 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique