Delicious, easy, inexpensive; serve as a sandwich filling or an hors d'oeuvre with whole-grain crackers or triangles of rye bread.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water (see Note)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Combine tuna, cream cheese, oil, lemon juice and cayenne in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl; stir in capers, parsley and thyme.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per tablespoon: 39 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation