Smoked Trout Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Creamy smoked trout spread on thin whole-grain crackers is a delicious appetizer, but serve it with an array of artfully arranged nibbles—ripe tomatoes, crunchy cucumber slices and red onion—and you have an easy summer dinner. Pack it up and take it outdoors for a weeknight picnic. Serve with a baby arugula salad tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and a generous grinding of pepper.
- 1/2 small red onion, divided
- 1/2 cup canned (rinsed) or cooked white beans
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 thin whole-grain crackers
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Finely chop half the onion (about 2 tablespoons); thinly slice the rest. Mash beans in a medium bowl with a fork until they are mostly broken down. Add the chopped onion, trout, cream cheese, lemon juice, horseradish, parsley and pepper; stir well to combine with the beans. Serve the trout spread with a platter of crackers, sliced tomatoes, cucumber and the sliced onion.
Per serving: 365 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 599 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011