Smoked Trout Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Creamy smoked trout spread on thin whole-grain crackers is a delicious appetizer, but serve it with an array of artfully arranged nibbles—ripe tomatoes, crunchy cucumber slices and red onion—and you have an easy summer dinner. Pack it up and take it outdoors for a weeknight picnic. Serve with a baby arugula salad tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and a generous grinding of pepper.
- 1/2 small red onion, divided
- 1/2 cup canned (rinsed) or cooked white beans
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 thin whole-grain crackers
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Finely chop half the onion (about 2 tablespoons); thinly slice the rest. Mash beans in a medium bowl with a fork until they are mostly broken down. Add the chopped onion, trout, cream cheese, lemon juice, horseradish, parsley and pepper; stir well to combine with the beans. Serve the trout spread with a platter of crackers, sliced tomatoes, cucumber and the sliced onion.
Per serving: 365 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 599 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- July/August 2011