Smoked Trout Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Creamy smoked trout spread on thin whole-grain crackers is a delicious appetizer, but serve it with an array of artfully arranged nibbles—ripe tomatoes, crunchy cucumber slices and red onion—and you have an easy summer dinner. Pack it up and take it outdoors for a weeknight picnic. Serve with a baby arugula salad tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and a generous grinding of pepper.
- 1/2 small red onion, divided
- 1/2 cup canned (rinsed) or cooked white beans
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 thin whole-grain crackers
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Finely chop half the onion (about 2 tablespoons); thinly slice the rest. Mash beans in a medium bowl with a fork until they are mostly broken down. Add the chopped onion, trout, cream cheese, lemon juice, horseradish, parsley and pepper; stir well to combine with the beans. Serve the trout spread with a platter of crackers, sliced tomatoes, cucumber and the sliced onion.
Per serving: 365 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 599 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- July/August 2011