Smoked Trout Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Creamy smoked trout spread on thin whole-grain crackers is a delicious appetizer, but serve it with an array of artfully arranged nibbles—ripe tomatoes, crunchy cucumber slices and red onion—and you have an easy summer dinner. Pack it up and take it outdoors for a weeknight picnic. Serve with a baby arugula salad tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and a generous grinding of pepper.
- 1/2 small red onion, divided
- 1/2 cup canned (rinsed) or cooked white beans
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 thin whole-grain crackers
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Finely chop half the onion (about 2 tablespoons); thinly slice the rest. Mash beans in a medium bowl with a fork until they are mostly broken down. Add the chopped onion, trout, cream cheese, lemon juice, horseradish, parsley and pepper; stir well to combine with the beans. Serve the trout spread with a platter of crackers, sliced tomatoes, cucumber and the sliced onion.
Per serving: 365 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 599 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- July/August 2011