Smoked Trout Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Creamy smoked trout spread on thin whole-grain crackers is a delicious appetizer, but serve it with an array of artfully arranged nibbles—ripe tomatoes, crunchy cucumber slices and red onion—and you have an easy summer dinner. Pack it up and take it outdoors for a weeknight picnic. Serve with a baby arugula salad tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and a generous grinding of pepper.
- 1/2 small red onion, divided
- 1/2 cup canned (rinsed) or cooked white beans
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 thin whole-grain crackers
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Finely chop half the onion (about 2 tablespoons); thinly slice the rest. Mash beans in a medium bowl with a fork until they are mostly broken down. Add the chopped onion, trout, cream cheese, lemon juice, horseradish, parsley and pepper; stir well to combine with the beans. Serve the trout spread with a platter of crackers, sliced tomatoes, cucumber and the sliced onion.
Per serving: 365 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 599 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011