Tropical Fruit in Spiced Syrup
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Serve this versatile, Chai-spice-inspired salsa with seafood, grilled chicken, as part of a yogurt parfait, or on its own.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole cardamom pod
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 kiwi, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium Asian pear, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (see Note)
- 1 lime, peeled and cut into segments (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 strips orange zest, (1/2-by-2-inch), cut into thin slivers (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves, (optional)
- Combine water, honey, cloves, cinnamon stick and cardamom in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly reduced and syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Pour the syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard the spices. Add mango, kiwi, pear, lime segments, dried cherries and orange zest. Stir gently to combine. Just before serving, add mint, if desired. Serve the fruit warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Tips: To segment a citrus fruit: Using a sharp knife, cut off the peel and white pith from the lime. To make attractive segments, hold the lime over a bowl (to catch the juice) and slice between each segment and its surrounding membranes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to easily remove strips of the outer skin (zest), leaving the bitter white pith behind.
- Note: Asian pears are shaped more like an apple than a pear, have golden yellow-green skin and retain their crisp texture even when ripe. Look for them in the specialty-fruit section of the supermarket.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 78 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- April/May 2005