Tropical Fruit Bars
Chewy pineapple and papaya, tart lime and sweet coconut combine in an exotic fruit bar.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped dried papaya
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and lime zest in another bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Whisk in lime juice and milk. Add the dry ingredients, pineapple and papaya and stir just until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake until golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Per bar: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique