Tropical Fruit Bars
Chewy pineapple and papaya, tart lime and sweet coconut combine in an exotic fruit bar.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped dried papaya
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and lime zest in another bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Whisk in lime juice and milk. Add the dry ingredients, pineapple and papaya and stir just until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake until golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Per bar: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more