Tropical Fruit Bars
Chewy pineapple and papaya, tart lime and sweet coconut combine in an exotic fruit bar.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped dried papaya
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and lime zest in another bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Whisk in lime juice and milk. Add the dry ingredients, pineapple and papaya and stir just until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake until golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Per bar: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation