Tropical Fruit Bars
Chewy pineapple and papaya, tart lime and sweet coconut combine in an exotic fruit bar.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped dried papaya
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and lime zest in another bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Whisk in lime juice and milk. Add the dry ingredients, pineapple and papaya and stir just until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake until golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Per bar: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation