Tropical Cucumber Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Combine cucumber, avocado and mango with a salty-sweet dressing for a taste of the tropics.
- 3-5 teaspoons fish sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 mango, cut into 3/4-inch dice (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk fish sauce to taste, lime zest, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, avocado, mango and cilantro; gently toss to coat. Serve garnished with lime zest, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Shopping Tip: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment; find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
- Kitchen Tip: To peel and cut a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 169 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 178 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2007