Tropical Cloud Cake
Coconut cake filled with mango-pineapple-lime mousse and topped with a lime-coconut glaze will send you to the tropics.
- 6 tablespoons shredded or flaked coconut
- 1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon frozen pineapple juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread coconut in a shallow pan and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. (Watch carefully, as coconut burns easily.) Set aside to cool.
- Whisk flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks, oil and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth.
- Beat the 10 egg whites and cream of tartar in a large clean bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in the remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff and glossy (this will take about 5 minutes). Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the beaten whites with a rubber spatula.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the batter in 4 additions. Fold in 3 tablespoons of the toasted coconut. Scrape the batter into an ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan with a removable bottom and smooth the top. Tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake the cake until top is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Invert the cake, either onto its “legs” or over the neck of a glass bottle, and let cool completely.
- To make mousse: Meanwhile, place a sieve over a bowl and line it with a coffee filter or paper towels. Add yogurt; let drain at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, pineapple, honey and pineapple juice concentrate in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft, 10 to 12 minutes. 10. Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon lime juice in a small bowl. Let stand for 1 minute. Scrape the gelatin into hot fruit mixture. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until coarsely pureed. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely. 11. Whip cream in a chilled bowl with a chilled whisk until soft peaks form. 12. Whisk the drained yogurt into the cooled fruit mixture. Fold in the whipped cream. 13. To assemble cake & glaze: Remove the cake from pan and place on a platter. With a serrated knife, cut a 1-inch layer from top of the cake and set it aside on a piece of wax paper. Carefully cut a 1-inch deep channel from the center of the cake, leaving about 3/4 inch on both sides and 1 inch on the bottom. (Reserve the cake from channel for another use.) Spoon the mousse into channel. Replace the cake top. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mousse has set, at least 4 hours or overnight. 14. Whisk confectioners’ sugar, coconut milk and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a small bowl until smooth. If too thick to pour, thin with a little water. Spoon glaze over cake, letting it drip down the sides. Garnish the top with the remaining 3 tablespoons toasted coconut.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 217 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 108 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...