Triple Celery Bisque
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
In this pureed bisque, celery root (celeriac) stars with russet potatoes and more celery flavor in the form of fresh celery and lovage or celery leaves. Evaporated nonfat milk adds creaminess without adding cream.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery root, (celeriac; about 2 pounds) , peeled and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup lovage (see Note) or celery leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery root, potatoes, onion, celery and leek. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add water, salt and white pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lovage (or celery leaves). Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in evaporated milk and heat through. Garnish each bowl with a lovage (or celery) leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a celery root, cut off one end to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed.
- Note: Lovage is related to celery and has a similar taste and appearance. Its leaves are used as a seasoning.
Per serving: 136 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 436 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1991