Triple Celery Bisque
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
In this pureed bisque, celery root (celeriac) stars with russet potatoes and more celery flavor in the form of fresh celery and lovage or celery leaves. Evaporated nonfat milk adds creaminess without adding cream.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery root, (celeriac; about 2 pounds) , peeled and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup lovage (see Note) or celery leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery root, potatoes, onion, celery and leek. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add water, salt and white pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lovage (or celery leaves). Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in evaporated milk and heat through. Garnish each bowl with a lovage (or celery) leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a celery root, cut off one end to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed.
- Note: Lovage is related to celery and has a similar taste and appearance. Its leaves are used as a seasoning.
Per serving: 136 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 436 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1991