Triple Celery Bisque
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
In this pureed bisque, celery root (celeriac) stars with russet potatoes and more celery flavor in the form of fresh celery and lovage or celery leaves. Evaporated nonfat milk adds creaminess without adding cream.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery root, (celeriac; about 2 pounds) , peeled and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup lovage (see Note) or celery leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery root, potatoes, onion, celery and leek. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add water, salt and white pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lovage (or celery leaves). Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in evaporated milk and heat through. Garnish each bowl with a lovage (or celery) leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a celery root, cut off one end to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed.
- Note: Lovage is related to celery and has a similar taste and appearance. Its leaves are used as a seasoning.
Per serving: 136 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 436 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1991