Triple Celery Bisque
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
In this pureed bisque, celery root (celeriac) stars with russet potatoes and more celery flavor in the form of fresh celery and lovage or celery leaves. Evaporated nonfat milk adds creaminess without adding cream.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery root, (celeriac; about 2 pounds) , peeled and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup lovage (see Note) or celery leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery root, potatoes, onion, celery and leek. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add water, salt and white pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lovage (or celery leaves). Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in evaporated milk and heat through. Garnish each bowl with a lovage (or celery) leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a celery root, cut off one end to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed.
- Note: Lovage is related to celery and has a similar taste and appearance. Its leaves are used as a seasoning.
Per serving: 136 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 436 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 1991