Triple Celery Bisque
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
In this pureed bisque, celery root (celeriac) stars with russet potatoes and more celery flavor in the form of fresh celery and lovage or celery leaves. Evaporated nonfat milk adds creaminess without adding cream.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery root, (celeriac; about 2 pounds) , peeled and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup lovage (see Note) or celery leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery root, potatoes, onion, celery and leek. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add water, salt and white pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lovage (or celery leaves). Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in evaporated milk and heat through. Garnish each bowl with a lovage (or celery) leaf.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a celery root, cut off one end to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed.
- Note: Lovage is related to celery and has a similar taste and appearance. Its leaves are used as a seasoning.
Per serving: 136 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 436 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1991