From EatingWell: December 1997
This layered enchilada-style bake can be made spicier with hot enchilada sauce and salsa.
- 1 16-ounce can fat-free refried beans
- 1/2 ripe avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, divided
- 1/4 cup green chile salsa
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, preferably jalapeño
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Combine beans, avocado, 1/2 cup scallions and salsa in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 3 tablespoons enchilada sauce over bottom of prepared pan. Place 1 tortilla over sauce. Spread tortilla with 1/4 cup bean mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Continue layering sauce, tortillas, bean mixture and cheese, ending with a tortilla. Spread top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese and 2 tablespoons scallions.
- Coat a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Place foil, sprayed-side down, over the tortilla stack. Bake until heated through, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges and serve, passing yogurt separately.
Per serving: 305 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 13 g fiber; 1343 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Vitamins A & C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- December 1997