Tortilla Arcos de la Frontera
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
A Spanish tortilla is a dense, moist omelet, usually made with potatoes. Serve alongside roasted red peppers drizzled with sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 all-purpose potatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 Cubanelle (sweet frying) peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add potatoes, peppers and onions. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally, until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper in a large bowl with a whisk or a fork. Add the cooled potato mixture and mix to thoroughly coat the vegetables with eggs. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, spreading the vegetables evenly across the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the underside is browned. (It should be slightly soft in the center.) Invert a large plate over the pan and turn out the tortilla onto the plate. Slide the tortilla back into the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the underside is brown. The tortilla should be firm but still moist. Transfer to a serving plate and and let stand a minute or two before cutting into wedges. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1992