Tortilla Arcos de la Frontera
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
A Spanish tortilla is a dense, moist omelet, usually made with potatoes. Serve alongside roasted red peppers drizzled with sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 all-purpose potatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 Cubanelle (sweet frying) peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add potatoes, peppers and onions. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally, until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper in a large bowl with a whisk or a fork. Add the cooled potato mixture and mix to thoroughly coat the vegetables with eggs. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, spreading the vegetables evenly across the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the underside is browned. (It should be slightly soft in the center.) Invert a large plate over the pan and turn out the tortilla onto the plate. Slide the tortilla back into the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the underside is brown. The tortilla should be firm but still moist. Transfer to a serving plate and and let stand a minute or two before cutting into wedges. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)