Tortilla Arcos de la Frontera
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
A Spanish tortilla is a dense, moist omelet, usually made with potatoes. Serve alongside roasted red peppers drizzled with sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 all-purpose potatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 Cubanelle (sweet frying) peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add potatoes, peppers and onions. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally, until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper in a large bowl with a whisk or a fork. Add the cooled potato mixture and mix to thoroughly coat the vegetables with eggs. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, spreading the vegetables evenly across the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the underside is browned. (It should be slightly soft in the center.) Invert a large plate over the pan and turn out the tortilla onto the plate. Slide the tortilla back into the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the underside is brown. The tortilla should be firm but still moist. Transfer to a serving plate and and let stand a minute or two before cutting into wedges. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992