Tortilla Arcos de la Frontera
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
A Spanish tortilla is a dense, moist omelet, usually made with potatoes. Serve alongside roasted red peppers drizzled with sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 all-purpose potatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 Cubanelle (sweet frying) peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add potatoes, peppers and onions. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally, until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper in a large bowl with a whisk or a fork. Add the cooled potato mixture and mix to thoroughly coat the vegetables with eggs. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, spreading the vegetables evenly across the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the underside is browned. (It should be slightly soft in the center.) Invert a large plate over the pan and turn out the tortilla onto the plate. Slide the tortilla back into the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the underside is brown. The tortilla should be firm but still moist. Transfer to a serving plate and and let stand a minute or two before cutting into wedges. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (69% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992