Tortellini with Tomato-Basil Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Serve with a low-fat Caesar salad and breadsticks
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with tomato sauce and basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 317 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1999