Tortellini with Tomato-Basil Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Serve with a low-fat Caesar salad and breadsticks
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with tomato sauce and basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 317 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1999