Tortellini in a Rosemary-Scented Broth
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Infusing canned broth with garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper adds a quick punch of flavor; storebought tortellini makes it substantial enough to serve as a main course. Make it a meal: Warm Arugula Bread Salad completes this meal.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 46-ounce or three 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1 8- or 9-ounce package low-fat fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat of a chef’s knife (do not peel). Tuck the garlic, rosemary sprigs and red-pepper flakes into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan. Add broth and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag).
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini in a large pot of boiling salted water. Following package directions, cook until tender. Drain the tortellini and add to the infused broth. Ladle into bowls and serve with Parmesan, if desired, and a grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 190 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1996