Tortellini in a Rosemary-Scented Broth
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Infusing canned broth with garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper adds a quick punch of flavor; storebought tortellini makes it substantial enough to serve as a main course. Make it a meal: Warm Arugula Bread Salad completes this meal.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 46-ounce or three 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1 8- or 9-ounce package low-fat fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat of a chef’s knife (do not peel). Tuck the garlic, rosemary sprigs and red-pepper flakes into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan. Add broth and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag).
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini in a large pot of boiling salted water. Following package directions, cook until tender. Drain the tortellini and add to the infused broth. Ladle into bowls and serve with Parmesan, if desired, and a grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 190 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- January/February 1996