Tortellini in a Rosemary-Scented Broth
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Infusing canned broth with garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper adds a quick punch of flavor; storebought tortellini makes it substantial enough to serve as a main course. Make it a meal: Warm Arugula Bread Salad completes this meal.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 46-ounce or three 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1 8- or 9-ounce package low-fat fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat of a chef’s knife (do not peel). Tuck the garlic, rosemary sprigs and red-pepper flakes into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan. Add broth and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag).
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini in a large pot of boiling salted water. Following package directions, cook until tender. Drain the tortellini and add to the infused broth. Ladle into bowls and serve with Parmesan, if desired, and a grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 190 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- January/February 1996