Tomato, Tuna & Tarragon Salad
Tomatoes and tuna were meant for each other, and fresh tarragon seals the deal. Soaking the onion in cold water tames the heat and sweetens its taste.
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna in olive oil, drained (see Note)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 8 cups torn lettuce, or mixed greens
- 1 pound small ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tuna, celery, tarragon and onion; stir to combine. Serve on top of the lettuce (or mixed greens) with tomato and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Labor Day
- Ease of Preparation