Tomato, Tuna & Tarragon Salad
Tomatoes and tuna were meant for each other, and fresh tarragon seals the deal. Soaking the onion in cold water tames the heat and sweetens its taste.
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna in olive oil, drained (see Note)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 8 cups torn lettuce, or mixed greens
- 1 pound small ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tuna, celery, tarragon and onion; stir to combine. Serve on top of the lettuce (or mixed greens) with tomato and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Labor Day
- Ease of Preparation