Tomato, Tuna & Tarragon Salad
Tomatoes and tuna were meant for each other, and fresh tarragon seals the deal. Soaking the onion in cold water tames the heat and sweetens its taste.
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna in olive oil, drained (see Note)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 8 cups torn lettuce, or mixed greens
- 1 pound small ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tuna, celery, tarragon and onion; stir to combine. Serve on top of the lettuce (or mixed greens) with tomato and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Labor Day