Tomato, Tuna & Tarragon Salad
Tomatoes and tuna were meant for each other, and fresh tarragon seals the deal. Soaking the onion in cold water tames the heat and sweetens its taste.
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna in olive oil, drained (see Note)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 8 cups torn lettuce, or mixed greens
- 1 pound small ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tuna, celery, tarragon and onion; stir to combine. Serve on top of the lettuce (or mixed greens) with tomato and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 259 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Labor Day