Tomato, Tuna & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Lemon zest, capers and tuna lend a bright Mediterranean flavor to this simple marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat linguine.
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 6-ounce can water-packed chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine marinara sauce, parsley, capers and lemon zest in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tuna and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe
Per serving: 123 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 493 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)