Tomato, Tuna & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Lemon zest, capers and tuna lend a bright Mediterranean flavor to this simple marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat linguine.
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 6-ounce can water-packed chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine marinara sauce, parsley, capers and lemon zest in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tuna and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe
Per serving: 123 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 493 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1995