Tomato, Tuna & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Lemon zest, capers and tuna lend a bright Mediterranean flavor to this simple marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat linguine.
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 6-ounce can water-packed chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine marinara sauce, parsley, capers and lemon zest in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tuna and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe
Per serving: 123 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 493 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)