Tomato Soup with Orzo & Basil
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Chopped tomatoes, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese update canned tomato soup.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup, preferably low-sodium
- 1 large tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, slivered
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until it begins to color, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add soup, tomato, orzo and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the orzo is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the orzo from sticking. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cheese and basil.
Per serving: 262 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 191 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995