Tomato Soup with Orzo & Basil
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Chopped tomatoes, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese update canned tomato soup.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup, preferably low-sodium
- 1 large tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, slivered
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until it begins to color, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add soup, tomato, orzo and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the orzo is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the orzo from sticking. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cheese and basil.
Per serving: 262 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 191 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)