Tomato & Smoked Mozzarella Sandwiches
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Take a classic combination like fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, add a couple flavor-packed ingredients like olives and sun-dried tomatoes, put it between two pieces of crusty bread and you'll have a satisfying weekend lunch or an easy warm-weather supper.
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped California Ripe Olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, preferably smoked, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let plump for 10 minutes.
- On a cutting board, mash the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a knife until it’s a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon oil, the lemon juice and crushed red pepper.
- Drain the tomatoes and finely chop. Add to the bowl with the dressing, along with the olives; mix well.
- Spread the tomato mixture on half the bread. Layer on cheese slices, some pepper, then the tomato slices; season with salt and vinegar. Top with several basil leaves. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the remaining bread slices and set them on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the tomato spread (Steps 1-3); cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 351 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 740 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Calcium (32% dv), Vitamin C (27% dv), Iron (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 very-lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007