Tomato & Smoked Mozzarella Sandwiches
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Take a classic combination like fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, add a couple flavor-packed ingredients like olives and sun-dried tomatoes, put it between two pieces of crusty bread and you'll have a satisfying weekend lunch or an easy warm-weather supper.
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped California Ripe Olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, preferably smoked, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let plump for 10 minutes.
- On a cutting board, mash the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a knife until it’s a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon oil, the lemon juice and crushed red pepper.
- Drain the tomatoes and finely chop. Add to the bowl with the dressing, along with the olives; mix well.
- Spread the tomato mixture on half the bread. Layer on cheese slices, some pepper, then the tomato slices; season with salt and vinegar. Top with several basil leaves. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the remaining bread slices and set them on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the tomato spread (Steps 1-3); cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 351 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 740 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Calcium (32% dv), Vitamin C (27% dv), Iron (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 very-lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007