Tomato & Smoked Mozzarella Sandwiches
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Take a classic combination like fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, add a couple flavor-packed ingredients like olives and sun-dried tomatoes, put it between two pieces of crusty bread and you'll have a satisfying weekend lunch or an easy warm-weather supper.
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped California Ripe Olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, preferably smoked, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let plump for 10 minutes.
- On a cutting board, mash the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a knife until it’s a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon oil, the lemon juice and crushed red pepper.
- Drain the tomatoes and finely chop. Add to the bowl with the dressing, along with the olives; mix well.
- Spread the tomato mixture on half the bread. Layer on cheese slices, some pepper, then the tomato slices; season with salt and vinegar. Top with several basil leaves. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the remaining bread slices and set them on the sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the tomato spread (Steps 1-3); cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 351 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 740 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Calcium (32% dv), Vitamin C (27% dv), Iron (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 very-lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007