From EatingWell: May/June 1992
This general-purpose tomato sauce works as well for pasta as for pizza. It may be frozen for up to two months.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes (with juices), chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and thyme. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool the sauce to room temperature before spreading it on the pizza dough.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1992